Job Code: 02699-36509
Nights (rotating weekends)
The Emergency Department RN provides
direct nursing care in accordance with established policies, procedures and
protocols of the healthcare organization. The tasks and responsibilities
• Assesses, plans and evaluates patient care needs.
• Prioritizes patient care based on acuity level and available resources.
• Carries out physician orders.
• Assists physician during examination, treatment and procedures.
• Administers prescribed medications, changes dressings, cleans wounds, monitors vital signs.
• Serves as the primary coordinator of all disciplines for well coordinated patient care.
• Monitors, records and communicates patient condition as appropriate utilizing computerized documentation systems.
• Instructs and educates patients and families.
• Assesses and coordinates patient's discharge planning needs with members of the healthcare team.
• Provides age and culturally appropriate care.
• Orients and mentors new staff members.
• Follows Standard Precautions using personal protective equipment as required.
• Customer service abilities including effective listening skills.
• Critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to perform work that requires frequent standing, bending, reaching, squatting, kneeling, moving, lifting of patients and/or equipment up to 50 pounds.
Required - Graduate of an accredited school of professional nursing.
Preferred - BSN degree or currently enrolled in BSN Program.
Required - Current licensure as an RN in the state of Virginia.
Required - Current certification as an American Heart Association BLS Healthcare Provider upon hire. ACLS, and PALS certifications required within 6 months (180 days) of hire or start date in position.
Preferred - Current certification in specialty field, TNCC certification.
Required - Minimum of two years of experience as a RN with demonstrated competency in emergency dept.
Last Edited: 02/17/2017