Job Code: 01515-17042
Las Palmas Medical Center is a Level III Trauma, 186-private patient room, full service acute care hospital. Las Palmas Medical Center offers comprehensive healthcare and provides leading-edge technologies. Our Lifecare Center offers inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation programs, as well as our fully equipped fitness and wellness center in one convenient location. We also house the region’s only Kidney Transplant Center.
We are located on the Westside of El Paso, Texas close to the University of Texas El Paso campus. We provide exceptional patient care services to the El Paso and Fort Bliss communities, as well as Southern New Mexico and West Texas Regions.
The Neuroscience charge RN is responsible for supervision and/or coordination of all staff assign to his/her team and the coordinator/communication of information relevant to the patient care process. The charge nurse may at time need to provide direct nursing care in accordance with established policies and procedures of Las Palmas Medical Center. In collaboration with the patient, the patient's family and other members of the health care team, the clinical RN assesses, plans, implements, evaluates, delegates and coordinates treatment plans and the plan of care.
Core competencies will be assessed primarily on the following patient population(s) served: Acute medical/surgical care of diseases and conditions including but not limited to: cardiovascular (cardiac medical only) pulmonary, neuro, GI, GU, skeletal/muscular, renal, ortho conditions and diseases including but not limited to: AMI, CAD, PVD, CVA/TIA, COPD, CHF, shock, renal failure, metabolic disorders, etc.
- Demonstrates knowledge and application of the nursing process for Neuroscience patients of appropriate ages in each assigned areas; i.e. craniotomies, pituitary surgical patients, ischemic stoke classification, VP shunts and cervical and lumber surgeries.
- Assesses and monitors and recognizes changes in the patient's behavioral, neurological and physiological status; takes appropriate action based on assessment.
- Utilizes professional skills and judgment in delivering and/or delegating care for patients.
- Assists with unit employee process activities, including orientation, professional development.
- Provides for the processing of patients transitions thru department, and movement of patients to other levels of care; i.e. rehab.
- Assists in the Performance Improvement activities of the department, such as pain, adaptation, mobility, and outcomes.
- Educates the patient/family based on individual needs. Will need 10 hours of stroke education per year.
- Provides and ensures patient safety at all times.
- Specializes in the care of patient's with biopsychosocial alteration due to nervous system dysfunction.
- Responsible for maintaining and meeting AANN and JCAHO standards.
- Other duties as assigned within scope and practice of licensure.
- ACLS (employee will have 30 days to renew certifications upon returning from a LOA) new nurses have up to 6 months to obtain ACLS
RN licensed in State of Texas or compact State Nursing license
PREFERRED EDUCATION, LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
1. Preferred experience as RN in Critical Care, Med-Surg., Orthopedic Surgery
2. ACLS certification within 6 months of employment for new GN's/RN's.
3. Effective communication skills; both orally and written.
4. Computer skills; i.e. word processing systems used by Las Palmas Medical Center.
5. Ability to work with others within a team to ensure quality patient care.
6. Strong problem solving skills (Critical Thinking Skills).
7. Ability to move an excess of 100 pounds, with assistance from other staff.
8. Knowledge of general hospital operations.
Associate's Degree/College Diploma
Last Edited: 02/10/2017