Job Code: 09496-1679
Are you ready for a work schedule that fits your lifestyle? “We offer No nights, No weekends, No call"
The HCA Ambulatory Surgery Division operates over 120 ambulatory surgery centers across the U.S. Ambulatory Surgery Centers (ASCs) perform surgeries that do not require hospital admission. They provide cost-effective services and a convenient environment. Procedures are performed in a fully equipped operating room and recovery is under the care of highly skilled nurses. Surgeries performed include eye, ear, nose and throat (ENT), general surgery, gynecologic, plastic surgery, podiatry and orthopedics. We manage a collection of highly motivated and innovative leaders who are committed to excellence in every aspect of their career. Apply today!
At the Reston Surgery Center, the demand for compassionate & quality care has never been greater. As a result, we are seeking qualified sterile processing tech to join our growing team. Reston Surgery Center is a leading healthcare provider in Reston and the surrounding area since 2004. The center is located at 1860 Town Center Drive, Suite G100 in the Parkway Medical Tower Building on the campus of . Our state-of-the-art facility accommodates 6 large surgical suites, and specialty procedure rooms for pain management and minor procedures.
We are proud of our over 140 surgeons, who perform a broad range of procedures in a private setting. Likewise, we are proud of our respectable staff of over 70 employees who uphold a tradition of providing quality healthcare services in a professional and caring environment. We are a close knit team and that promotes professionalism and comradery. Apply today if you would like to join a team that equally cares about our patients and one another!
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Under the direction of a Registered Nurse the Instrument/Sterile Processing Tech contributes to the company’s mission and vision generally by assisting with the care of patients by providing properly cleaned, sterilized, highly disinfected instruments and supplies.
OPERATIONAL DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Demonstrates knowledge related to maintenance, cleanliness, and sterilization of instruments and equipment. Maintains a sanitary environment for the provision of patient care.
- Demonstrates awareness of appropriate sterilization method needed for different instruments in accordance to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Demonstrates knowledge of high level disinfection and sterilization of endoscopy equipment. (Maintains daily log, testing for efficacy of disinfecting solution with each cycle, performs biological tests and completes log, as per facility policies).
- Monitors and records all test loads and sterilization cycles; reports any deviation from normal functioning to OR Coordinator or Nurse Manager.
- Maintains accurate records for PM’s for equipment; reports any deviation from normal functioning to OR Coordinator or Nurse Manager.
- Maintains accurate log for equipment out for repair.
- Receives all soiled instrumentation and implements the appropriate decontamination process.
- Practices Standards Precautions.
- Utilizes required Personal Protective Equipment.
- Prepares the Decontamination and Clean room with supplies and equipment needed.
- Reprocesses instrumentation for sterilization.
- Tests operational efficiency of Instrumentation prior to reprocessing and reports problems to OR Coordinator Nurse Manager.
- Wraps trays and individual items according to established policy/procedure. Labels each item with name and expiration date.
- Monitors all instrumentation for proper sterilization prior to releasing for use.
- Places Sterilized instruments on appropriate shelving and rotates accordingly.
- Prioritizes and Organizes instrumentation and equipment and supplies.
- Demonstrates appropriate aseptic techniques as indicated by interventions (hand hygiene, and equipment preparation).
- Implements manual cleaning cycle for autoclaves and Steris machines and other sterilizing/disinfecting machines.
- Performs required quality controls e.g. Bowie Dick, DART, Biological Monitoring, Disinfecting Solution Efficacy Testing, Test Strips.
- Maintains instruments/trays/scopes inventory.
- Anticipates special needs and selects required packs, instruments, supplies, sutures and equipment for specific cases.
- Understands concept of “short cycle” and it is appropriate to use to sterilize and/or disinfect instruments for immediate use.
- Reviews schedule daily for case instrumentation needs; remains abreast of changes made in schedule.
- Transports clean and dirty instruments, per policy.
- Cleans GI treatment rooms between procedures and prepares rooms for next case as assigned.
- Checks for outdated sterile supplies and instruments and assists with reprocessing as needed.
- Maintains a clean and orderly central processing area (e.g. shelves, counters, equipment).
- Keeps open communication with Nurse Manager regarding all aspects of Central Sterile Supply operations; seeks guidance for all equipment/instrumentation purchasing, replacement and repair.
- Utilizes supplies and resources in a cost effective manner.
- Recognizes emergency situations and responds effectively in a calm and controlled manner.
- Appropriately handles the disposal of biohazardous materials.
- Restocks area daily, using appropriate par levels and daily stock sheets while utilizing facility resources appropriately and avoids wasteful practices.
- Spends appropriate time and energy on tasks and assignments based on the policies that are supportive of the Center’s goals and objectives.
- Functions independently according to job responsibilities and within scope of practice utilizing current standards of care.
- Takes personal initiative to maintain current BCLS, and other required certification (if indicated) current as defined by job role.
- Uses facility resources appropriately and avoids wasteful practices.
- Attends all mandatory in-services, staff meetings, and participates in emergency drills.
- Participates in the orientation of new employees.
- Completes annual competency and other required education as assigned.
- Maintains confidentiality of records and patient information at all times.
- Practices and adheres to the “Code of Conduct” philosophy and “Mission and Value Statement”.
- While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current Position, it is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, or working conditions associated with the job. Management reserves the right to revise the Position or require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances warrant (i.e. emergencies, changes in personnel or staffing, workload, rush jobs, or technical developments).
Consider joining a team that offers:
- Great working hours
- Opportunities to learn and grow your career
- Great Benefits for Eligible Positions
- Positive team environment
Last Edited: 03/28/2017