Job Code: 10202-21533
Size of Hospital: 506-beds
For more than 100 years the LewisGale name has been synonymous with high-quality, compassionate healthcare. Today, our unwavering commitment to our patients ranks us as one of the top hospitals in Virginia and the nation for quality of care including patient safety, patient satisfaction and health outcomes. Our growing integrated network of care includes four hospitals, six outpatient centers, two cancer centers and 700 physicians at more than 160 affiliated locations stretching from Alleghany Highlands and Rockbridge County to the Roanoke and New River Valleys.
- ~71,000 ED visits per year
- Nationally-Accredited Stroke Center
- Joint Commission Gold Seal of Approval in Hip and Knee Replacement
- Accredited Chest Pain Centers
- Comprehensive Cancer Services
- Nearly 1,000 deliveries per year
- 58% inpatient market share, 50% outpatient market share
- CMI 1.54
- ALOS of 5.3 days
- Meditech EMR
The CMO leads clinical and quality initiatives that support the provision of consistent clinical performance and practice standards across the hospital; reviews quality performance with hospital leadership; facilitates the analysis of quality performance and prioritization improvement opportunities; provides senior level leadership to the infection control, risk management, safety, and medical staff credentialing functions ensuring the collaboration and coordination of all stakeholders in these processes; facilitates hospital-wide medical staff integration; and consults on an array of issues involving physicians.
• Serve as an active member of the Administrative Team.
• Champion delivery of quality care as a priority for the Medical Staff.
• Develop and coordinate systems/processes for controlling costs related to clinical resource utilization.
• As a part of the clinical resource utilization function, develop and provide ongoing oversight for hospitalist services.
• Develop and direct medical education programs for the benefit of the Hospital’s Medical Staff and facility.
• Serve as a liaison between the Hospital and the Medical Staff. Represent the Hospital objectively and decisively in presenting matters of importance to the Medical Staff.
• Participate in all committees and activities appropriate for an active member of the Hospital’s Medical Staff.
• Assist in the development and promotion of new products and services for the Hospital.
• Manage the functions of the Hospital’s Medical Staff Office, including all aspects of staff appointment/reappointment, the management of Medical Staff Bylaws, Rules and Regulations, and departmental rules and regulations; oversight of Medical Staff departmental and committee functions; oversight of all processes for dealing with disruptive and impaired physicians, and the oversight of all credentialing matters for the Medical Staff. Duties also include the preparation of a Medical Staff newsletter, attendance at meetings of the Medical Executive Committee and
Hospital Board as an ex-officio member of each, and ongoing communications – verbal and written – with the Hospital’s Medical Staff.
• Ensure that Medical Staff clinical practices followed within the Hospital comply with all local, State, Federal and other regulatory requirements as well as HCA and nationally recognized standards of care.
• Participate for the Hospital in community health-related activities and organizations.
• Ideally, has been a CMO (or equivalent) in a large, complex hospital or regional health system.
• Board certified physician with practice experience.
• Graduate degree in business or comparable degree is preferred.
• Minimum five years of clinical practice experience.
• Experience communicating a vision in a broad range of clinical environments, preferably within an open system.
• Management of a complex quality program design and implementation.
• Involvement in the implementation of significant clinical practice change.
• Leadership of quality improvement initiatives that have resulted in measurably outstanding outcomes and/or shown significant enhancements recently.
• Management of multi-disciplinary teams of clinicians and staff.
Last Edited: 04/13/2017