Job Code: 26263-63243
Are you ready for a work schedule that fits your lifestyle? “We offer No nights, No weekends, No call"
The Ambulatory Surgery Division operates over 100 ambulatory surgery centers’ across the U.S. Ambulatory Surgery Centers (ASCs) perform surgeries that do not require hospital admission. They provide cost-effective services and a convenient environment. Procedures are performed in a fully equipped operating room and recovery is under the care of highly skilled nurses. Whether young or old or somewhere in between, patients and their families benefit from the comfortable environment ASCs have to offer. Surgeries performed include eye, ear, nose and throat (ENT), general surgery, gynecologic, plastic surgery, podiatry and orthopedics. Apply Now! Come Join our Team!
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Under the direction of a GI/Endoscopy RN contributes to the company’s mission and vision by assisting with the care of patients undergoing GI/Endoscopy procedures.
OPERATIONAL DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
• Demonstrates necessary practical, technical or specialized knowledge and skills required for the role of the GI/Endoscopy technician in accordance with facility policy and procedures.
• Demonstrates knowledge related to maintenance, cleanliness, and sterilization/disinfection of instruments and equipment. Maintains a sanitary environment for the provision of patient care.
• Demonstrates knowledge of high disinfection and sterilization of endoscopy equipment. (Maintains daily log, testing for efficacy of disinfecting solution with each cycle, performs biological tests, test strips quality controls, and completes log, as per facility policies).
• Proficient in the care, handling, and disinfection of all endoscopes and accessories.
• Prepares the endoscopy unit adequately and ensures availability of necessary GI equipment and supplies.
• Verifies proper functioning of equipment prior to procedure. Report malfunctioning equipment immediately to nurse manager.
• Utilizes good customer service while interacting with patient, family and physicians. Keeps patient and family informed on a timely basis.
• Utilizes appropriate patient identifiers prior to all interventions.
• Assists the physician with interventions as indicated (positioning, preparing specimens, GI tract tattooing, etc.)
• Proficient in the care, handling and disinfection of all endoscopes and accessories.
• Practices Standard Precautions.
• Cleans GI treatment rooms between procedures and prepares rooms for next case.
• Demonstrates appropriate aseptic techniques as indicated by interventions (hand hygiene, and equipment preparation).
• Maintains patient privacy, comfort, and safety throughout the stay i.e. bed rails up, brakes on stretchers, positioning, etc.
• Utilizes appropriate body mechanics in moving patients and stretchers to prevent injury to patient and self.
• Assists in the maintenance, care and labeling of specimens. Identifies specimen with surgeon and passes specimen to the circulating RN.
• Assists the R.N. and/or physician as needed.
• Recognizes emergency situations and responds effectively in a calm and controlled manner.
• Appropriately handles the disposal of biohazardous materials/wastes.
• Restocks area daily, using appropriate par levels and daily stock sheets while utilizing facility resources appropriately and avoids wasteful practices.
• Checks for outdated sterile supplies and instruments and assists with reprocessing as needed.
• Prepares procedure room for use the following day by bringing in equipment, setting up, "pulling cases" accurately, and reporting to supervisor items that are needed and not available.
• Spends appropriate time and energy on tasks and assignments based on the policies that are supportive of the Center’s goals and objectives.
• Functions independently according to job responsibilities and within scope of practice utilizing current standards of care.
• Takes personal initiative to maintain current BCLS, and other required certification (if indicated) current as defined by job role.
• Uses facility resources appropriately and avoids wasteful practices.
• Attends all mandatory in-services, staff meetings, and participates in emergency drills.
• Participates in the orientation of new employees.
• Completes annual competency and other required education as assigned.
• Maintains confidentiality of records and patient information at all times.
• Practices and adheres to the “Code of Conduct” philosophy and “Mission and Value Statement”.
• While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current Position, it is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, or working conditions associated with the job. Management reserves the right to revise the Position or require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances warrant (i.e. emergencies, changes in personnel or staffing, workload, rush jobs, or technical developments).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Maintains current knowledge of advances and current trends in GI/Endo procedures and techniques.
• Knowledge of endoscopes use and maintenance.
• Knowledge and ability to identify and select GI instruments and equipment necessary for patient procedures i.e. endoscopic set up, scopes, video equipment, and safe use of electro-surgical unit.
• Demonstrates knowledge of principles of safe electro cautery.
• Knowledge of current practice related to hand hygiene, aseptic and sterile technique.
• Knowledge of current practice of decontamination, high level disinfectant and sterilization procedures.
• Demonstrates attention to detail by ensuring that all documentation is legible, complete, accurate, and factual.
• Knowledge of organizational policies, procedures, systems and objectives.
• Has knowledge of patient rights and strives to improve patient outcomes by respecting each patient’s cultural, psychosocial, and spiritual values.
• Knowledge of applicable regulatory, compliance, and accreditation standards and requirements.
• Possesses critical thinking skills.
• Demonstrates a willingness to listen to others and openly expresses respect for differing opinions.
• Demonstrates leadership, effective organizing, and planning skills.
• Effective problem solving skills to include data analysis and judgment to make effective decisions.
• Ability to work with minimal supervision.
• High Impact Communication - Effective oral and written communication skills
• Computer Skills – Knowledge and basic use of computer skills.
• Maintains high level of confidentiality at all times.
• Ability to build trust and gain respect through effective team leadership and participation skills.
• Graduate of an accredited Surgical Technology program preferred.
• One year acute care experience; preferably in an ambulatory surgery center.
• Valid BCLS Certification upon employment***online certification not acceptable.
High School Diploma/GED
Last Edited: 04/20/2017