Job Code: 27826-62502
$2,500 Sign-on Bonus available.
*Internal transfers are not eligible for the sign-on bonus.
Are you ready for a work schedule that fits your lifestyle? “We offer No nights, No weekends, No call"
The Ambulatory Surgery Division operates over 100 ambulatory surgery centers’ across the U.S. Ambulatory Surgery Centers (ASCs) perform surgeries that do not require hospital admission. They provide cost-effective services and a convenient environment. Procedures are performed in a fully equipped operating room and recovery is under the care of highly skilled nurses. Whether young or old or somewhere in between, patients and their families benefit from the comfortable environment ASCs have to offer. Surgeries performed include eye, ear, nose and throat (ENT), general surgery, gynecologic, plastic surgery, podiatry and orthopedics. Apply Now! Come Join our Team!
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Under the direction of a Registered Nurse contributes to the company’s mission and vision by assisting with the provision of safe and effective nursing care in accordance with a defined scope of practice that may include: direct patient care and observation; scrubbing and assisting surgeon at the operative field; surgical room turnover between cases, collection and recording of pertinent clinical data in the medical record; and consistent collaboration with the Registered Nurse in clinical decision making. Nursing care meets the standards of the regulatory guidelines, policies and procedures of the Center and is appropriate to the Center’s patient population to identify patient and family needs.
OPERATIONAL DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
• Demonstrates necessary practical, technical or specialized knowledge and skills required for the role of the surgical technician in accordance with AST (Association of Surgical Technologist) and other regulatory standards of practice.
• Demonstrates basic knowledge and understanding of surgical procedures to enable proper performance of scrub duties and to anticipate the needs of the surgeon.
• Assists in preparing the operative suite for surgery by checking and gathering supplies, equipment, and instruments.
• Ensures availability of adequate supplies, equipment and instruments for scheduled cases and assists in opening cases in a sterile manner.
• Utilizes physician preference cards to set up each case; updates cards when indicated, and routing updated cards in the approved manner.
• Ensures that instruments are working properly before and after each case.
• Assists with patient positioning, skin preparation, and surgical draping according to surgeon’s protocol.
• Assists the surgeon during a surgical procedure with a high degree of efficiency, anticipating surgeon’s and patient needs during the case.
• Assists with application of dressing splints, and casts, as directed.
• Conscientiously observes and reports any breaks in sterile technique to attending surgeon and RN circulator.
• Ensures that surgical asepsis is maintained in the handling of instruments, sponges, sutures, drains, needles, and dressings.
• Ensures accurate sponge, needle, and instrument counts are completed when indicated and prior to patient leaving the OR.
• Remove drapes at the completion of procedure and assist with preparing patient for transfer to the PACU staff to ensure continuity of care.
• Facilitates effective and efficient transition between surgical procedures.
• Assists in the turnover of the O.R. suites between cases, disposing of trash and linens, and cleaning of equipment and environmental surfaces, as required.
• Utilizes preference cards and updates them, as necessary.
• Utilizes appropriate body mechanics in moving patients, stretchers, and OR tables and other equipment to prevent injury to patient and self.
• Participates in detailed time out process and ensures it is done according to policy.
• Assists in the maintenance and care of specimens. Identifies specimen with surgeon and passes specimen to the circulating RN. Verifies correcting labeling, as per policy.
• Recognizes emergency situations and responds effectively in a calm and controlled manner.
• Assists circulating nurse during local procedures as assigned.
• Adheres to Standard Precautions.
• Utilizes Personal Protective Equipment, as per policy.
• Remains aware of safety precautions required to minimize the possibility of patient injuries e.g. Prevention of Surgical Fires.
• Handles instruments and supplies during and after procedure to minimize injury to self and others.
• Demonstrates knowledge related to maintenance, cleanliness, and sterilization of instruments and equipment. Maintains a sanitary environment for the provision of patient care.
• Appropriately handles the disposal of biohazardous materials/wastes.
• Restocks area daily, using appropriate par levels and daily stock sheets.
• Checks for outdated sterile supplies and instruments and assists with reprocessing as needed.
• Prepares procedure room for use the following day by bringing in equipment, setting up, "pulling cases" accurately, and reporting to supervisor items that are needed and not available.
• Spends appropriate time and energy on tasks and assignments based on the policies that are supportive of the Center’s goals and objectives.
• Functions independently according to job responsibilities and within scope of practice utilizing current standards of care.
• Takes personal initiative to maintain current BCLS, and other required certification (if indicated) current as defined by job role.
• Uses facility resources appropriately and avoids wasteful practices.
• Attends all mandatory in-services, staff meetings, and participates in emergency drills.
• Participates in the orientation of new employees.
• Completes annual competency and other required education as assigned.
• Maintains confidentiality of records and patient information at all times.
• Practices and adheres to the “Code of Conduct” philosophy and “Mission and Value Statement”.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Advanced knowledge in the scrub role and responsibilities for multiple surgical specialties.
• Maintains current knowledge of surgical procedures and techniques.
• Ability to identify and select instruments and equipment necessary for surgical procedures and appropriately interpret information on preference cards.
• Knowledge of current practice related to hand hygiene, aseptic and sterile technique.
• Knowledge of current practice of decontamination, high level disinfectant and sterilization procedures.
• Demonstrates attention to detail by ensuring that all documentation is legible, complete, accurate, and factual.
• Maintains current knowledge of advances in operating room trends.
• Knowledge of organizational policies, procedures, systems and objectives.
• Has knowledge of patient rights and strives to improve patient outcomes by respecting each patient’s cultural, psychosocial, and spiritual values.
• Knowledge of applicable regulatory, compliance, and accreditation standards and requirements.
• Possesses critical thinking skills.
• Demonstrates a willingness to listen to others and openly expresses respect for differing opinions.
• Demonstrates leadership, effective organizing, and planning skills.
• Effective problem solving skills to include data analysis and judgment to make effective decisions.
• Ability to work with minimal supervision.
• High Impact Communication - Effective oral and written communication skills
• Computer Skills – Knowledge and basic use of computer skills.
• Maintains high level of confidentiality at all times.
• Ability to build trust and gain respect through effective team leadership and participation skills.
• Graduate of an accredited Surgical Technology program.
• One year experience in an operating room setting; preferably in an ambulatory surgery center.
• Graduate of an accredited Surgical Technology program as required per facility practice and state regulatory requirement; otherwise preferred.
• State Surgical Tech Registration.
• Valid BCLS Certification upon employment***online certification not acceptable.
Last Edited: 06/21/2017